About The Firm
Eric Hansum, principal attorney at the Hansum Law Firm, PLLC, has been practicing employment law for over 20 years. His love of the law comes naturally, starting with extensive public speaking and debate experience in high school and college. These experiences continued on with mock trial and moot court competitions while in law school.
After law school, he first started working for a firm handling personal injury and employment law matters. Later, he handled predominantly employment law matters. After having made partner at a large Texas based firm, he later formed his own firm. Thereafter, he also served as the Assistant General Counsel and Vice President of Litigation for a national health care provider. That health care provider offered long term care, home health, and hospice services in multiple states, which helped sharpen Mr. Hansum's employment and general liability experience in the healthcare context. During his in-house stint, he helped oversee and manage employment, professional liability, and general liability lawsuits. His diverse background spanning from a big law firm, to having an in-house position, to being a business owner gives him a unique vantage point to assist his clients on practical, business-oriented employment solutions.
Mr. Hansum's practice focuses on employment counseling and lawsuits. He regularly handles a variety of employment issues including wrongful terminations, workers' compensation retaliation, discrimination and harassment claims, non-compete disputes, drafting or reviewing employment agreements, wage and hour and other misclassification matters, OSHA and DOL (Department of Labor) investigations, as well as claims under the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
He has been recognized as a Texas Rising Star in employment litigation from 2011-2015 and a Texas Super Lawyer in that same field in 2020. Mr. Hansum has also achieved an AV Preeminent peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating available. Finally, he is Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and has been since 2005.
Mr. Hansum enjoys being a lawyer in the courtroom as well as working being behind the scenes in helping craft employment solutions. He litigates effectively and efficiently.
Socially, Mr. Hansum is a member at Bethany Lutheran Church in Austin. In his spare time, he enjoys following the Texas Longhorns football team, traveling with his two kids, and coaching or volunteering on youth soccer activities.
The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas: Juris Doctor (2000).
- Honors: Order of Barristers.
- Law Review: The Review of Litigation, Technical Editor (1999-2000)
Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas: Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude, (1997).
Professional Recognition and Community Activities
- AAA, Employment Panel Member.
- Member of the Labor and Employment Law Section, State Bar of Texas.
- Member of the Labor and Employment Law Section, Austin Bar Association.
- Past member of the Pro Bono Committee for the Labor and Employment Law Section, State Bar of Texas.
- Meals on Wheels, volunteer, 2006-2011.
- Trinity University Alumni Association, Austin Chapter President - 2006-2008, Officer - 2008-2009.
- Former member of the Robert W. Calvert Inn of Court.
- Texas Supreme Court.
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.